Sunday, December 6, 2009

Here's a rather perplexing question: When composing, which do you feel should come first? Lyric

I currently write lyrics for two different composers. The first, prefers me to write the lyrics first. The results I find, is more fluid and rhythmic. Like poetry set to music.



With the second composer, he feels the music must come first. I'm instructed as to how many syllables per line. What vowel it should end in.Where the rhyme and inner-rhyme should fall. The result is a less poetic but very dramatic piece. And every musician reading it has asked "how were you able to match syllables with notes so perfectly?"



Keep in mind that these arias are all for opera only. Please let me know if you are a musician or writer or have ever composed.



I appreciate your thoughts.



Song bird



Here's a rather perplexing question: When composing, which do you feel should come first? Lyrics or Music?opera music



Well, I do not compose with lyrics (yet) I hope to do so in the future when I find some poems, or words that really get me.



But when I do begin, I think that finding the words will help you better construct the song.



Most lyrical works, such as Debussy's, are created, for the most part, after the poem/lyrics are written. Debussy, like I said, was a great composer who used a lot of poems to construct his works.



Examples include, but not limited to: Beau Soir, and Clair de Lune.



Just like how composers write music for something they saw that day, they too must write about what was written beforehand.



However, you may find it difficult having to match chords and what not to the lyrics.



Overall, I think that it would be easier knowing what you are composing about, what the words are, if there are any rhyming lines. And just writing the song how the lyrics are constructed.



By the way, yes, I am a musician and composer...Just not lyrical yet (I need to find some poems that I feel passionate about.)



Hope this helps



-M?tt



Here's a rather perplexing question: When composing, which do you feel should come first? Lyrics or Music?opera sheet music opera theater



I play guitar, bass, and piano, and in my experience both ways work equally as well. Sometimes a tune will pop into my head and I'll write music to it and later put some words to it. I also write down anything that comes to me that sounds like a good lyrics and build music around it.



Honestly though, I have a feeling the greatest music writers ever, from McCartney to Mozart, could probably have both aspects come to them as they go. I know sometimes when I'm about to drift off to sleep a song will just pop into my head, lyrics and music. But really, neither one SHOULD come first. They are both equally intregral in the creation of great music. Whichever one gets the creative juices flowing for the particular person.
ah the eternal lament of lyricists .... in the end you are the lucky one you can do the creating either way
I feel the lyric should come first. Good composers should always be able to fit the words to a suitable melody. But I guess it depends on the emphasis. I don't know much about operas, so I won't comment specifically on that, but if you want to emphasize the words and tell a story out of the words, then write the lyrics first. Emphasis on music, then music first.



I'm a flute player, and personally, I find it really hard to write lyrics to music. I usually just compose tunes, but I would write out the lyrics first if I was composing.



So I guess it all depends on when to use what.
I play electric bass, for myself the lyrics come first.After that the music seems to fall into place.
There is no answer to this question which has perplexed people since first lyrics began to be sung around the cave man Og's fire. Richard Strauss actually wrote a whole opera on the point - called 'Capriccio' It might be worth seeing if you could borrow a copy and listen to the words - and the music.
i play guitar and I make the music first



www.jamstudio.com makes the time between the idea and the finished product SO much faster

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
adware remover