Sunday, December 6, 2009

How can I raise my singing range to two pitches higher?

I'm a classically trained 14 year old soprano, and I love singing Phantom of the Opera. Or at least, that's what I have a question on. For those who know the music to the theme, you know the part where Christine begins vocalizing towards the end,



"Sing my angel of music"



"Ahhhh-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-a"



That very last E, I just can't seem to hit, I can do every other note, and I can hit the D under it and sometimes even the D sharp. I can't finish the song and I don't feel right, not hitting that E.



People say that with time, my voice will develop and if I'm meant to be a soprano, I'll be able to sing that E. I'm wondering though, is there a way I can help achieve that faster?



And please don't give me crap answers, I'm really serious about this, since I want to try out for the part of Christine in our production next year.



And please don't tell me to drink water with honey, or open my throat and sing with my diaphragm. I already am.



Are there any like, special secrets?



How can I raise my singing range to two pitches higher?opera mini



It is true, your voice will develop as you get older. In fact, your voice constantly changes.



Do you do vocal warmups and excercises? Doing them on a daily basis will give you the ability to hit those notes needed.



If you do not have a vocal coach, you can usually find self-help tapes and online videos.



But I do not recommend you stress your voice too much, going too high can do serious damage if not done with professional help.



One little hint I can give you is when hitting that high note, cover your lips over your teeth to give it a round shape. It is easier to reach high notes when the air flow is circular.



Aside from that, be confident, take a deep breath, flex that diagphram and do not think about how high it is, just do it.



How can I raise my singing range to two pitches higher?passions soap opera opera theater



Unfortunately there is nothing you can do but practice sensibly, healthy and regularly - and let nature take it's course.



At 14 your voice is really very young, and personally I'd recommend not stretching it to the limits for a few years, at least. There is a lot of damage that can be done, and any note that is uncomfortable to sing should be left alone. It is one thing to vocalise and sing scales to the upper and lower end of your voice, but I recommend not singing repertoire that stretches these limits. As a young soprano myself I have a "golden rule": I will only sing to the note below my highest possible note (apart from scales and exercises). That is, for me, the easiest way to ensure I am not straining too much. In your case, I would avise not to sing serious stuff that goes above C/C#.



Another note: a singer is not a soprano because she can hit that top E. It has much more to do with the vocal colour, agility and what range you are comfortable in. A singer for Baroque music can be a soprano even if she can only sing the high Bb - it doesn't go any higher, and the vocal colour of the middle range are, in that case, more important than the vocal range. Likewise, I know a girl who can sing the top F easily, but is certainly an alto. Don't let the range determine your type.



I really would hope that you won't sing Christine next year, as it still seems way too early to do it just yet. At one point or another you'll have to accept that there will always be music you like but that you are unsuitable to sing, be that a current affair (maybe Christine will work in 5 years) or be it ultimately forever (I like Verdi, but my voice is that of a light, bright Baroque soprano). Don't dwell on it. Try looking up repertoire that suits your voice, is within it's range and your musical abilities. Make a mental list of that, and then look for something of that list that you would like to try out, and enjoy that.



Don't sing Christine just because it's nice. If your voice is not up to it (and at 14/15 that is likely) then it's not worth damaging it by overstraining.
It may just be a matter of stretching the vocals through practicing the octave scales several times a day, every day. What you are reaching for is not that much of a leap, but you have to keep at it or you'll lose it. A while back I needed to go from being a second alto to being a first soprano in a production. I didn't think it was possible but the vocal coach helped me to achieve the range I needed. Since then I haven't needed to sing that high. I haven't sung much in the upper range and I've lost that ability. Yet I know I could get there again if I adopted the same practice as before. Break a leg!
Once you've crested over the high C to reach the D, you've probably gone past the last break in your voice. There are no more "tricks" to get that high E -- it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice. And it just might not be there. Not every soprano can hit that note (actually, very few can do it well). In the student version of Phantom, I'm sure there's an alternative scoring to deal with a soprano who doesn't have a high E (very very few high school aged sopranos would have such a note, and fewer still have such a note that anyone wants to hear (i.e. it's not just a shrill scream)).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
adware remover