Thursday, December 10, 2009

Is it possible to train your own voice?

Ok so Ive always loved to sing, always. I used to sing so much my mom would ask me to stop. I can sing quite high in my opinion, up there with christina aguilera, charlotte church and sarah brightman sometimes. I listened and sang to Maria Carey when I was younger, as well as Patsy Cline, Sarah McLachlan, Shania Twain and soo soo many more artists. I sing alot of different types of music, country, opera, christian, etc. All I have to do is listen to a song a few times and then I can sing it, matching the notes perfectly. Everyone tells me Im a great singer, but Ive never had voice lessons and I cant even read music. Is it possible that I've trained my voice myself, since I sing all the time, and have always since I was very young. Im 20 now btw.



Is it possible to train your own voice?theatre



I will give you a few tips to singing, but I can not stress enough to go see a classical voice teacher. Nothing can replace the value of seeing someone who specializes in what you want to do! If you go to your local college's music department there are voice students who would be more than willing to teach you for a nominal fee.



Here's a first voice mini-lesson for you! This is what I teach my students during the first few weeks!



1. Breathing. Make sure you are taking nice deep breaths. To check this, squat or plie during warm-ups. When you breathe in your low ab muscles should drop (due to lowering the center of gravity). Your belly and back will expand! Every breath should feel like that when you sing!



2. Singing posture. Make sure you are standing with your feet shoulder width apart, back/neck/head are aligned, and your chin is not sticking out. When men (and some women) sing high, they unknowingly stick their neck out to "reach" for the high notes. Make sure your head stays straight and your chin is parallel to the ground.



3. Do warm-ups that stretch your cords gradually. Start in your low range and work your way up. Make sure you are changing to your head voice when getting in the upper part of your range. You can stretch your vocal cords by pushing them by half-step higher every day you practice. Whatever you do, listen to your body, and if your throat feels strained, stop!



4. Drop your jaw! Do not sing horizontally (like you're smiling). It adds nasality to your tone. To check yourself put both hands to your face, one finger on the corners of your mouth in a resting position. When you sing (warm-ups or repertoire) do not let the corners of your mouth widen past your fingers!



When singing high, make sure you are flipping into your head voice. It will make your voice float and is less abuse on your chords than if you push up from the bottom of your voice. Come from the top to hit those high notes! Good luck!



Is it possible to train your own voice?opera music opera theater



yes!!!!



Say "I'm sofa king we todd did" as loud as you can in all 8 octives and your voice will progressively get better
Singing along with these other singers is great, but you've actually taught yourself to mimic. Your voice is your voice and for it to be a healthy voice you have to train it like a runner trains for a marathon. Unfortunately, you can't prepare to run 12 miles by watching other people run 20 miles. You have to stretch and work and build endurance. The vocal cords are a muscle and they have their own stretches and agility exercises that build their endurance. If you just wanna have some fun, sing along with these artists. I do it all the time, but I've also gone to school and worked on my voice, so that it's mine and I know how to use it when there's no one else singing but me. You need someone outside yourself to listen and guide you to be your best. To remind you that you are imitating the sound and color of Leontyne Price or Kim Burrell. To help you fall in love with your own sound and timbre of your own voice. If you want to become a performer it is a must that you find your voice and use it healthily. A coach helps you do that. Your audience is going to immediately compare you to someone or something else. But you strive for, "yeah, she sounds like such and such, but such and such isn't as {fill in the blank} as she is."
Hmmm...maybe. Sorry, I need to consult a music expert about this.
better to have a teacher, but it is possible to teach yourself.... i did....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
adware remover